Home Club Forum

Online Payment system

Hi,

Do any clubs use a service that allows members to pay for bridge sessions online? Equivalent to booking a cinema ticket, for example. Would be very useful for paying for online sessions and, when we come back to it, f2f sessions.

Comments

• I have seen that some clubs are using SpadeTickets but I would be interested in getting views from clubs generally about the relative costs and merits of different approaches. This is becoming more of a current issue with RealBridge, where it is necessary to collect "table money" from players - unlike with BBO where players can "pay at the door".

• I am Treasurer of Berks & Bucks and we are thinking about using RealBridge but as identified above, payment is a real issue. Can anyone give any information about Spadetickets or any other online payment system please. I have heard there is also something called Bookwhen.

• There are a number of different providers, but I have heard in the last week of two (Square and Stripe) who have declined to have accounts with online bridge providers on the strange and inaccurate grounds that they are betting sites. I have taken this up with Square on behalf of one of our member clubs and am waiting to hear back from them.

• edited May 2021

@gordonrainsford said:
    There are a number of different providers, but I have heard in the last week of two (Square and Stripe) who have declined to have accounts with online bridge providers on the strange and inaccurate grounds that they are betting sites. I have taken this up with Square on behalf of one of our member clubs and am waiting to hear back from them.

Gordon, did you get anywhere with Square?

I've only just started to investigate contactless payments and in many respects Square looks ideal, but obviously not if they won't deal with bridge clubs as you mentioned.

Although I do have a partner or two who's bids are somewhat flakey at times and one may describe them as gambling..... but there isn't actually any money involved. If there was we would cease to be partners ;)

• No, they were completely unhelpful to me, but I understand some clubs have had success with them.

• @gordonrainsford said:
    No, they were completely unhelpful to me, but I understand some clubs have had success with them.

Thanks, would it be okay for you to let me have a contact for the clubs who had success? There may be magic wording or banana skins to avoid.

• @Tony5 said:

@gordonrainsford said:
    No, they were completely unhelpful to me, but I understand some clubs have had success with them.

Thanks, would it be okay for you to let me have a contact for the clubs who had success? There may be magic wording or banana skins to avoid.

I don't, because I've only heard second-hand, but if you contact the EBU Club Liaison Officer he may have information to provide.

• In Berks & Bucks we went for Bookwhen as the online booking system and Stripe as the payment system. It works very well. We are very pleased. Small charges of course.