Home Scoring and other IT questions

BBO to XML

I am currently having difficulties running the application on Chrome as it keeps ending with no results.

The event finished 4 hours ago. The programme lists the travellers but then only seems able to display two or three board results before getting up a BBO cannot display message.

Have I forgotton something in my old age?

Comments

• It appears to be a BBO problem

Hi Paul,

Yes, problem at BBO end. See thread below.

best regards,
    John

Sent: Tuesday, June 8, 2021, 7:10 PM
    To bboextractor@bridgepal.co.uk
    Subject: bbo extractor - "Giving up" dialogue

OK thanks. We're also looking into this on our end. We have not changed anything intentionally to block you out in any case.
    We'll check and see how we can improve things.

Best regards,
    Diana Eveline Serban
    Director of Operations
    Bridge Base Online - A 52 Entertainment Group company
    La 6/8/2021 9:08 PM, John Goacher a scris:
    Hi Diana,

The BBO Extractor app gives up if it gets repeated error returns from BBO when trying to request travellers (if it's more than about 10 error returns in a row I think). Normally there are only a few such error returns when retrieving travellers for a 24 board match (sometimes a traveller request might need 2 or 3 retries). However, today most requests seem to be failing apart from the first two or three travellers, so the app eventually gives up.

The error returns are due to BBO throttling of requests, I believe. For some throttling is much worse today, hence the problem. I have seen the same thing happen a few months ago but it resolved itself in a few hours (or BBO resolved it). I don't know what caused the sudden change in behaviour.

best regards,
    John

Sent: Tuesday, June 8, 2021, 6:58 PM
    To: bboextractor@bridgepal.co.uk
    Subject: bbo extractor - "Giving up" dialogue

Hi John and Myrna,

I work for BBO.
    Lots of clubs have been using the wonderfully useful bbo Extractor to fetch results for their online games.
    Today we had several questions related to a dialogue like this:

Is this something new?
    When does the app give up ?

Thanks,

• I'm having the same issue with Chris Chambers' Extractor, so it is definitely a BBO thing.

• I've managed to complete the session - not sure if luck or if things back to normal.

• I have released v1.3.13 of BBO Extractor to help address the retrieval problems that have occurred since yesterday. Browsers will eventually update to this version automatically but you can hasten the update by closing all browser windows and relaunching the browser.

The changes are:

1. If BBO Extractor receives 10 consecutive error returns from BBO when retrieving a traveller it will now ask the user whether to continue or give up (previously it used to give up at this point).

2. The delay between retries has been increased to 2 seconds (was 1 second).

For their part, BBO have relaxed the throttling restrictions somewhat, which also seems to have helped.

John

• Last night everything went smoothly for me, so let's hope that it's fixed, whatever the cause was.