Home Scoring and other IT questions

Wrong number of tricks

I used EBUScore Teams and BridgePal - both for the first time - last night.

There seemed to be communication problems with our slow, old computer. When EBU numbers were entered on the BridgePal, the names didn't appear until the second round. And, at the end of the evening, a lot of scores were missing from EBUScore. Although, clicking on Read All Results seemed to transfer them to the computer.

However, when posted to BridgeWebs - https://www.bridgewebs.com/cgi-bin/bwoo/bw.cgi?pid=display_rank&event=20210517_2&club=nottingham - I noticed that the figures for the number of tricks seemed pretty random. The scores are correct, it's just the numbers of tricks that aren't.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks.

Comments

• This sound like incompatible versions. If the table-top units are sending data in one encoding/protocol and the server is expecting something different then the received score data can be wrong.

It may be you need to 'install updates' on the table-top unit and/or server.

• edited May 2021

I suspect you didn't leave EBUScore displaying the "BridgePal Scoring" screen while the event was running. EBUScore only polls the wireless database for new scores while this screen is on display. As you say, clicking on Read All Results would transfer all results to the computer.

I took a look at the Bridgewebs event you linked to above. I haven't looked at every traveller but the ones I did check appeared to be correct (number of tricks matched the score). Has it since been manually corrected ? If not, can you point me to a traveller where it is incorrect ?

Correction: I've just noticed that the link above is for the wrong event. Yes, I can see that in the event held on 20th May traveller 1 shows a pair having made 17 tricks on a contract ! Could you email any relevant files, e.g. the bws wireless scoring database file (should be in the directory C:/EBUScore/Teams/Databases), and the csv file that was uploaded to Bridgewebs.

• I've done a bit of checking. BridgePal does not record the scores for the travellers in the wireless database shared with EBUScore, but does record the number of tricks made. Therefore EBUScore calculates the scores based on the contract, vulnerability, and number of tricks. Since the scores on the travellers for your event are correct, it follows that EBUScore must be receiving the correct number of tricks from BridgePal. Therefore, either EBUScore is writing the wrong number of tricks in the CSV file being uploaded to Bridgewebs, or Bridgewebs is writing the wrong number of tricks in the travellers on the results pages. If you send me a copy of the CSV file I should be able to tell which.

• After investigation, the incorrect number of tricks appears to have been introduced by EBUScore Teams.

The csv file produced on the Club computer, and initially uploaded to BridgeWebs. had the correct number of tricks. So. the transfer from BridgePal on the tablets to EBUScore worked correctly.

When I got home, I noticed I hadn't produced Victory Points. I downloaded the csv file from BridgeWebs, imported it into EBUScore Teams on my own computer, amended the scoring option to produce Victory Points, and uploaded the new csv to BridgeWebs. The new csv had incorrect numbers of tricks, but correct scores.