Home Scoring and other IT questions

Withdrawal of pairs during the event

Playing on RealBridge, Pairs, Howell, 7 1/2 tables, ten founds, 2 boards per round.

Today one player had real WIFI problems and, after ten boards (so had completed half the event) decided to withdraw. I think I would have done the same thing.

Quick look at white book. At least half the boards played, so their opponents on the first 10 boards keep their scores. For the remaining ten boards, I awarded Ave + to the pairs that were due to play the withdrawn pair, but are instead sitting out.

White book suggests as an option:

the TD has the discretion instead to remove them entirely from the ranking list if they would prefer that, perhaps because of the effect on their NGS grade, and the TD is satisfied that it is for a genuine and acceptable reason.

So, my question is, how do I remove them from the ranking list, whilst retaining their opponents' scores for the first ten boards? I have used BBO to XML, imported the XML file, saved as a CSV, opened up the CSV using Excel, and removed the pair from the ranking list on the first page of the CSV. Then used the amended CSV to create a new XML file. That worked for getting the scores to the EBU.

Simply removing the pair on the front page of the CSV does not work, because, as expected, it removes all their and their opponents scores.

The problem is that when I use the same process on the XML with Lin file, then use the now amended CSV to create a new XML document, using BBO to XML, then load the scores to Bridgewebs something strange has happened.

When I look at the travellers on Bridgewebs, for each each of the first ten boards, when the withdrawn players were playing, their names have been substituted by a different name. If you want to see this, then the results are here

https://www.bridgewebs.com/cgi-bin/bwoo/bw.cgi?pid=display_rank&event=20210419_1&club=bicester

Look at the pair that finished top. On boards 1 and 2 they played the withdrawn pair, pair 9. The names of the withdrawn pair have been replaced by the name of another pair, pair 12, who, you will see, actually played the winning pair on boards 7 and 8. In each case, the name of the withdrawn pair, pair 9 has been replaced with the names of the the players who are pair 12.

This has not effected the scores at all, but I would like to see if there is a fix.

IS there an easier way to simply "remove them entirely from the ranking list".

Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• I have never tried this online only on Scorebridge, but if I was withdrawing a pair's scores, I would just minus the score they received so that they would appear in the ranking list with a zero score.
    So if the missing pair were E/W, and say the score on a board was N/S 10; E/W 6 I would just give them minus 6. If you do that on every board they played then their total score for the session is zero.
    Hope this works on Realbridge too! If not apologies for confusing you.

• Problem is that the scores achieved by their opponents have to stand. My only problem is finding a satisfactory way for their scores to stand, or at least their opponents scores to stand, but to then remove them from the ranking list for the event.
  • Have you tried importing the XML file into EBUscore then mark the pair as missing for the final ranking list.

• Wasn’t sure but it works. Keeps all the scores of players against the withdrawn pair. Mark withdrawn pair as missing in properties section and the final ranking list omits them.

• Thanks. I will try. But my experience of importing the XML file into EBU score is not good, especially with a half table. The half table often disappears.

I know a lot if people find exporting the RealBridge XML file into EBU Score does not work well.
  • I did try with a half table and had no problem. You could send me the file if you wished. 07712162816

• Can you rename the withdrawn pair as 'Withdrawn Player1' 'Withdrawn Player2' with no EBU numbers, and tell the upload process that they are guests?